Tuesday, June 3, 2014

we are all in this together

Sometimes motherhood feels lonely.  Actually most of the time.  There are days that the only conversation I have before dinnertime is with the cashier at the store.  And a lot of the time you feel like you will be forever in this phase of diapers, naps, and never getting more than 10 minutes to accomplish that task.

Today as I walking my two babies up to the park I walked past a house where a mom was on the porch watching her toddler walk up and down the stairs while bouncing a baby in a car seat carrier.  A few houses down there was a mom mowing her lawn with a baby in an exersaucer on the porch.  This made me smile as I realized I am not alone, women around me are in the exact situation doing the best they can every day.  Sometimes I find myself really worried about people judging me because of my children.  If they are dressed poorly, smell bad, cry a lot etc etc etc.  But I have to remember that most people around me are too busy worrying about their own kids to stop and pick me apart about mine.  Most people also know that life isn't pretty and perfect very often, so if it appears to be that way we must be having a really good day.  Later on my walk Ruby was still being really fussy so I decided to try to carry her while pushing the stroller up the hill.  I noticed then that she was poopy so we pulled off to the street and changed her diaper on the sidewalk and then nursed on the sidewalk too.  Not ideal but totally worth not having a screaming baby all the way to the park.

It's empowering to see other moms do their thing.  I read a quote I really like the other day;
"the best antidote for worry is work.  the best medicine for despair is service.  the best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone more tired." President Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment